SMU Cox Faculty Research Site: A journey to recognition
Goal: To position SMU Cox School of Business as a thought leader by leveraging the cutting edge research of business school faculty. This would in turn build an aspect of the Cox "brand"--the sophisticated yet practical work of the faculty unknown to students, peer schools, media, and the business community.
- Faculty participated and submitted research to the site, both involving issues of gaining trust in the operations and editorial policy of research editor, Jennifer Warren. She was also the project architect and day-to-day manager of the site from inception in October 2003 to May 2005. As of June 2006, she continues to serve as research editor/writer and PR consultant for the site.
- Content was updated bi-monthly, achieving monthly traffic of 800 visits the first month of launch (April 2004) to over 5,000+ monthly visits in May 2005, with minimal PR effort. Research summaries were written for a broad audience to communicate key findings, their application in the real world, and trends which could influence decision makers. The richness of faculty research production was conveyed by subject areas or disciplines: finance, accounting, marketing, management and organizations, information technology and operations management, and ethics.
- Numerous bodies and publications recognized the research site as innovative and worthy of adoption, with many higher education institutions copying the site's concept. The Economist Intelligence Unit in conjunction with Harvard requested a content licensing agreement for their Executive Briefing website, a must-read for global managers and executives.
- Won runner up in "Best Use of the Internet for Public Relations" category from the DFW Interactive Marketing Association among stiff competition from high end interactive ad agencies.
- A Series was developed with existing content which was synthesized, "distilled," and grouped by discipline or theme and provided additional marketing and communications opportunities for internal departments.
- Attracted media attention in leading publications such as The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Christian Science Monitor, Toronto Star, San Diego Union Tribune, and other major national and metropolitan publications.
Additional services on behalf of SMU Cox:
- PR strategy and media pitches
- Alumni publication articles
- Faculty experts and business leader profiles
- Marketing of educational programs' offerings through the web and print